TRACK

Monday, February 14, 2011

A Stitch In Time


Prague doctors seem to take delight in fashioning ridiculous-looking bandages for their patients.

Just a note to say that I haven't been blogging much lately due to both a busy schedule and the fact that I've been taking it easy lately after having had some minor surgery.

I noticed a tiny scab on my forehead last spring that simply never healed. To make a long story short, after a few visits to the dermatologist, the knife was recommended, and I went to the hospital a couple of weeks ago for outpatient surgery.

The lab results tested positive for basel cell carcinoma. That's the bad news. The good news is that they got it all, and that it wasn't melanoma.

I've always tried to be careful out in the sun, what with my ginger complexion, but I guess a lifetime of sunburns finally caught up with me. I've got to be especially careful now, since if you've had this problem once, you're susceptible to being diagnosed with it again.

I hope to be back on the bike and feeling like my old self real soon. Stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. If that happened to me, I would have called it anything but minor, I normally freak out about these things. I guess you learn how to deal with things when they happen to you... Anyways, I am glad for you that it was removed. I wish you speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news that you caught the cancer, that it wasn't melanoma and that you are healing. Al and I both pray for a complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that you're okay. Have a speedy recovery, and stock up on the sunblock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Light Play, I must admit that it was a more serious operation than I anticipated. I thought I'd just go in there and they'd burn it off or something. I didn't expect 20 stitches and a quarter-sized chuck of flesh to be removed. Anyway, thanks everyone for your kind wishes!

    ReplyDelete