TRACK

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Mrs. Angotti's Famous Spaghetti & Meatballs


With a bottle of my new favorite wine: Bremerton Selkirk Shiraz.

I made spaghetti and meatballs from scratch the other night as a treat for my mom, who's recuperating from a hip fracture.

I used an old family recipe, which was passed down to us from an Italian nun my mom used to know in nursing school back in the 1950s.

Actually, I shouldn't say passed down to "us." The recipe was given to my mom and dad and only recently passed along to me by my mom.

My father, who died in February, had proudly perfected the recipe over the years (adding a little of this, subtracting a little of that) and would make it for me whenever I visited. It was always delicious.

The only thing is, he guarded the recipe fiercely. I think he thought I would try to market it professionally and steal his riches. (In fact, he made a few inquiries himself on bottling it for mass consumption, but the idea never got off the ground.)

Anyway, the recipe is ridiculously simple, really. The most time-consuming part is simply letting the sauce reduce on the stove over the course of six or seven hours. But in good conscience, I can't divulge the recipe.

Rest in peace, Dad.

2 comments:

  1. Goodness, those meatballs are huge! I never actually made spaghetti and meatballs from scratch. Maybe now that my youngest is off to college I'll have a bit more time for culinary endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. You're not the first to comment on the size of the meatballs. I've never thought of them as huge. Someone said they weren't meatballs but meat boulders. They're just better bigger. What's the point of golfball size meatballs?? ;-)

    ReplyDelete