TRACK

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Best Banana Bread In The World


I took a loaf of this banana bread into work today and snapped this photo with my iPhone. Not the greatest picture, but you get the idea.

I like to bake.

I like to cook real food every once in awhile (see my never-fail chili recipe here), but I really do enjoy baking.

Not that my repertoire is extensive.

I can make a mean apple pie from scratch, including the crust, and I also like to make cakes and breads.

The following recipe for banana bread has treated me right. It's rich and dense and moist. It's deceptively easy to make. And it's versatile. You can use three bananas or four, whatever you've got. Throw in some crushed walnuts or pecans. Or not.

Everyone raves about this bread. It always makes me look good, but I don't really do anything.

I got the recipe from my ex-wife, Deana. I'm not sure where she got it. It'd be nice to know, just to give credit where credit is due.

Anyway, here's the recipe, in English measurements.

I hope you like it.

BEST BANANA BREAD IN THE WORLD

1/2 cup oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 or 4 overripe bananas
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbl milk
1/2 tsp vanilla


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat oil and sugar together. Add eggs and mashed bananas. Mix well.

Mix dry ingredients together and add to banana mixture. Stir in milk and vanilla. Add nuts if you've got any.

Pour into greased and floured loaf pan. Bake 45-55 minutes or until it is brown on top and springs back to the touch. (I usually insert a knife into the middle of the loaf. It's done when the knife comes back out clean.)

Make some coffee. Eat the bread.

3 comments: