TRACK

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Best Pizza In Prague?



Brewsta, Prague's first and most tireless restaurant blogger, recently wrote a review of the pizza at Sbarro, in the Flora mall.

(For some reason, some readers took him to task for writing about what is basically a fast-food joint. That's pretty ridiculous. Food is food. I agree with Brewsta. Some of the best pizza in Prague can be found at Pizza Grosso, a little hole-in-the-wall under the highway near the Muzeum metro stop and the No. 11 tram stop. But by their reasoning, Brewsta shouldn't write about that place because it's not a real restaurant. But I digress... )

Brewsta's a New York-pizza kind of guy, and I, too, like a good New York-style pie (although, unlike Brewsta, I do like the pizzas at Rugantino and Grosseto very much, especially the salami pizza at Rugantino).

Which brings me to my own little fast-food restaurant tip.

If you're ever out at the Metropole mall near Zličín, go up to the food court and have a slice or two of the pizza at a place called Villa. In my opinion, it's the best New York-style pizza in Prague. Lovely crust, well-cooked. Nice assortment of fresh toppings. Fantastic sauce.

The first time I tasted one of their slices I was blown away. I hadn't expected anything special, but it knocked my socks off. I hadn't tasted anything like that in Prague before, or since. (Yes, it would be nice to have a picture of the actual pizza, but I wasn't actually eating the day I took the picture above. Sorry.)

It's not the best pizza in the world. It may not even be the best pizza in Prague. And Zličín is a long way out there, so I can't even say it deserves a special trip.

But if you're ever shopping at Ikea, or seeing a movie at Metropole, check out Villa. You won't be disappointed.

Here's hoping Villa opens another branch somewhere closer to the center of Prague.

2 comments:

  1. that's odd because they certainly cannot cook pasta (they overcook it to the consistency of canned noodle soup pasta).

    But I will try the pizza the next time my wife drags me (kicking and screaming) to Metropole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm. Definitely can't vouch for the pasta, but the pizza I do love. And so does Daisy. So it's not just me. Hope you like it, too. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete